Thursday, April 18, 2013

The 15 Greatest Baseball Movies of All Time

Like many baseball fans, I am a nerd for baseball movies. From the start, my bias is there. I am going to like it because it is about my biggest passions I have. If it is about baseball, you can count me in always as a guy who will go see it with you.

What I have here is the ultimate list of baseball movies I have seen. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, you are wrong. These here are the 15 greatest baseball movies of all time. If you haven't seen at least half of these movies, you do not deserve to be a baseball fan and you should spend you time following European Soccer, golf or some other useless game.

15. For Love of The Game
Pitches better than Verlander


Kevin Costner is baseball movies. He does a great job in every one he has been in and did not fail in this one. Aging Tigers pitcher pitching his final game in the big leagues as the whole country follows his bid for a perfect-o. And Vin Scully does the announcing. I know he is a Dodger guy, but man is a legend and gets a pass in my book.







14. The Benchwarmers


Okay, I know, this is kind of pathetic for baseball movies, but it had to make my list. With Rob Schneider mowing down little league kids as a 30+ year old man, it doesn't really make sense to me neither. Somehow, I get a laugh watching Napolean Dynamite swing a bat, and oh yeah, there is this part...

I do not believe the 25 Metacritic score does it justice.

13. Fever Pitch


I will publicly admit my bias in saying I am part Red Sox fan. Growing up with a family friend playing for them, it was hard not for me to be drawn by the appeal of the Green Monster and Fenway at age 5. Plus, bragging rights against my friends. Anyways, Jimmy Fallon is awesome and fits his role perfectly as an obsessed Boston Red Sox fan on the way to the World Series. Plus, his room is what ever baseball fan dream of.

Two words: Yankee Toiletpaper





12. The Scout


Steve Nebraska has to be the greatest fictional baseball player ever to play the game of baseball. A guy who gets carried to the field on a thrown, throws 112 MPH and can hit bombs both ways without steroids? Even the fact that he is played by Brendan Fraser gets overlooked when you see the hilarity of this movie.

Highlight of this movie? His 81 pitch perfect game in the World Series after he is flown in by a helicopter. He is more Boss than George Steinbrenner.



11. Little Big League



I think what makes this movie so great is the time this movie came out.  I was four at the time so in a few years after I was able to understand, it was awesome seeing someone around my age coach a professional baseball game. Getting big leaguers to help me with my math homework would have been a dream come true.

Spoiler: Griffey robs a home run at the end and the Twins lose. That part is so cool.



10. The Rookie


A true story of a school teacher turned professional baseball player? Sign me up. I am a sucker for rags to riches stories and things of that nature. I remember seeing this movie when it came out in theaters and thought it was amazing and I still do.






9. Rookie of The Year


If you were a kid, at some point you have pretended to be Henry Rowengartner. Breaks arms then becomes a professional baseball player? Throw in Gary Busey and the crazy hitting coach and you have a instant childhood classic.

Most unrealistic part of this movie? Cubs winning the World Series.





8. Angels in the Outfield


Joseph Gordon Levitt before his was a star apparently was an orphan kid who loved the Angels, prayed to God and had the Angels win the pennant. Maybe they need a remake of this for the team this year, because Anaheim hasn't seen a worse team since George Knox was running the show. I could watch this movie everyday. Whoever doesn't think JP is coolest doesn't deserve to be my friend.





This also happens to be the theme song for my softball team as well.

7. Moneyball


Lets get to a serious movie. Brad Pitt playing the baseball wizkid Billy Beane and steering the Oakland A's to the playoffs with his outlandish style of winning the organization on a small budget? Sounds like the Padres need to learn a thing or two from this guy. A's are able to make their budget work every year through the Billy Beane program. Has a lot of good facts and knowledge which is good for the baseball nerdy crowd who likes a few stats thrown in there.



6. The Natural


Roy Hobbs is someone who shows us the good there is in baseball. Standup guy who does all the right things and uses his God-given talent to be the best player that ever put on a uniform. Robert Redford's character may go down as the #2 most memorable fictional baseball player.






5. Major League



A group of nobody's who are supposed to lose by win the pennant anyways to spite ownership. This would be great if based on a true story of the 2013 Padres team. But seriously, this movie is super funny. Seeing Charlie Sheen as Rick Vaughn is always worth the 107 minute investment of time to watch this. The sequel ain't half bad neither.





4. 42



Although this movie is brand new to the baseball realm, it is already an instant classic. The story of Jackie Robinson has to be one of the most inspiring baseball tales ever to happen as we watch a man defy all odds to become a hero to many as the first black man to play baseball. Seriously and emotional movie. Graphic for a PG-13 and only makes you imagine what it was like in real life.

Spoiler: Steve the Pirate is a racist.


3. Hard Ball



A surprise choice for being up this high, I know. But I seriously love this movie. In my opinion, this is Keanu Reeves best role besides Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as he coaches the Kekambas, a group of inner-city Chicago kids, in the game of baseball and more importantly the game of life. You will never listen to the song "Big Poppa" without thinking of this movie.

And tell me you didn't cry when G-Baby died?

2. Field of Dreams



Again, another Kevin Costner great. If you haven't heard "If you build it, they will come", you should be hanging out with Rain Man. GUYS, I AM KIDDING! But seriously, this is THE classic baseball movie. Hearing voices to build a baseball stadium in your backyard and travel across the country to find a backup named Moonlight Graham, and have the Chicago Black Sox walk out from your cornfield. I love this movie because it is the ultimate baseball movie and an awesome story about how a Iowa man gets to meet his father for the first time. Go watch this right now if you haven't seen it.



AND FINALLY......

1. The Sandlot



If you haven't seen this movie you have been living under a rock your entire life. Whether a baseball fan or not, this is a must see. This movie is hilarious and  guaranteed you have uttered several quotes from this movie and every time you see a big dog, you think of the beast. All of us had and still have a crush on Wendy Peffercorn, we all wanted PF Flyers to run faster and jump higher, and it is unanimous that Benny "The Jet" is a sports icon and is hands down the most remembered baseball character of all time. I could watch this movie FOR-EV-ER.

Also, the greatest movie quote of all time:
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart , and you can never go wrong"

May we always remember these 9 kids.




No comments:

Post a Comment