Friday, February 22, 2013

Padres win 9-3 in Spring Training opener

First thing to be said: I am not going to do this every spring training game, I just thought in honor of a first game blowout victory, I would be willing to muster up some words of goodwill.

In my short synopsis of the game, it was basically over before it really began. The Padres drop a six-run dump on the Mariners which consisted of four hits, including a Jedd Gyorko Grand Slam, 4 walks, and a dropped fly ball. Cool Padres offense. Scored 3 more times knocking in 9 total on 10 hits.

Gyorko has the ability to spit venom which could prove valuable to earn a roster spot.


On the other side, San Diego's own,Sean O'Sullivan, did the Padres well giving them exactly what they would want in a Spring Training start going two hitless, scoreless innings.


So, what now? I know it is just one swing, but what if Jedd has an amazing spring? He has power, which we saw in Tucson last year, belting 24 bombs. Also, he has been taking strides to become a good asset on defense.
“I’ve always been known as a hitter first. I also want to be known for my defense and all-around play." 
So, this could prove to be a tough decision for Buddy Black. Do you bring him up to start the season, or hand over the job to Forsythe? And lets say they get more bad news about Evereth Cabrera's potential PED mishap in Miami? If I was a better man, and I am, I would say the Gyorko may start the season with the Padres, if the numbers and the defense can back it up.

As far as O'Sullivan, the pitching rotation is wide open as far as I am concerned for the maybe 3 and definitely 4-5 spots in the rotation. A good spring for him may prove valuable, and this start only helped put his name further in the mix of 10 guys.

Hey, Bret, I am the coach you know? I got this...

All in all, good to see a Padres win and start the season off with a bang. First place in the Cactus League! Hey, I will take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment